Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thing 22 - 23 things in our library

Well. Since I am the only one of our three library staff who has participated in this program, I'd like to take even 5-10 minutes a week, (a month? however often my colleagues will entertain) to at least introduce and discuss each of the tools we've tried. Demonstrate when possible (perhaps slides from home when we can't access live), and talk through the possibilities for using them in our own environment. Would they be interested in learning by experiencing these things on their own? And because several Things have a kind of counterpart in our own software environment (using Sharepoint to share documents instead of Googledocs, and Outlook's IM feature for example), we can introduce these and brainstorm ways to make use of them to streamline our processes and reach our customers. If I'm excited about it, perhaps I can communicate that to my colleagues - even if they're snowed under and not too interested just yet. Just look at what great visuals we can create with those image generators!!

And as a committee member / officer of various societies, I'm planning to champion some of the 2.0 features to enhance our communication, by encouraging use of things like Googledocs, flickr, blogs and wikis, and to talk about tagging opportunities on our websites. There is already talk of turning procedure manuals into wikis, making websites more interactive. I'm a lot better prepared to help & support these activities now!

And you know what? I'm even looking forward to using these with family. Already Facebook has helped me keep in touch with my neices and nephew. My tech-savy dad can share pictures with us and vice versa more easily on Flickr than elsewhere. And my mom's recipes that I'd love comments on from family? googledocs would let us edit and correct them so easily between us! We may have to start a 23 things for the family, and let the younger ones coach some of the rest of us through Things they kn0w. What fun!

1 comment: