Friday, July 17, 2009

Flickr Mashups


I'm finding out that even though I think I'm pretty comfortable using computers, these applications are not intuitive to me! (Rats!) It's not always easy to figure out how to make them work, and I'm sure that's partly because I'm not always sure what I want to be able to do. However I was able to add a caption to a favorite photo from our 2008 Africa field season; when the land cruiser started leaking something part way through Tanzania, we drove it onto a ramp at the Toyota shop so the guys could look underneath - and they discovered something unexpected; there was only one bolt holding the body onto the chassis... Jeepers.
I like the colr pickr; great to reflect a daily mood in image by color, or find something to inspire a yarn color mix for socks & sweaters. And flappr lets one pull up all kinds of things (knitted items?!). And they are from all over the world! So, I can find images of journals, for example, to illustrate something on our library webpage - but, aren't they protected by copyright? We can't just use any of these... or can we? I obviously didn't read something in the "agree" part that I should have.
Using the "sketch" option in retrievr, I tried to draw knitting stitches; surprisingly I found a great many images of eyelashes!
Much of these would help in finding images patrons have asked about, especially medically-related things (which we normally use Google Images or some such to find).
I did go back and through the "EXPLORE" option in Flickr, looked at the world map, and found images uploaded by geography; and even added a few of ours to Tanzania, but only for us to see for now. Like being able to see photos of places around the world!

2 comments:

  1. Africa - how interesting, was this a work related trip or vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is a geologist, and lately much of his work is in Africa. I am also a geologist by education, and when I can I go along to help. Through him I've done field work in Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia, South Africa, Namibia, and spent two short weeks in Tanzania.

    ReplyDelete