Friday, July 31, 2009

Thing 18 - Wikis

Wikipedia: enjoyed doing something I hadn't yet done: read "about..." stuff! and was glad to see things like "This section does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (February 2009)" with a fairly timely date attached. Also enjoyed history; several are recently active, several not so much. I think that there could be a lot added, for example to the "history" section of paleomagnetism... I even know someone who could add it; will see if they are interested! Makes me wonder, though if some of the active scientists are taking an interest, or leaving this to those a bit removed. Interesting too to see that things like "wikiproject geology" exist. We steer families away from this to things like MedlinePlus for authoritative medical info...
I like the exercise of creating wiki pages! and the ability to add a link within the page! Thank you for that. The Hospital Library Section of the Medical Library Association has a wiki (http://mla-hls.wikispaces.com/) and I think I'll feel more comfortable really using it (rather than just knowing it is there) after this experience. Not that I feel I've much to offer re: contributions, but have much better understanding of how it's put together!
What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment