Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing 8 - Facebook

After setting up my facebook account I was surprised at how quickly my family (well, especially my nieces and nephew) wanted or agreed to be friends... and then my brother and cousin. Wow. But the motivating force was really my medical library colleagues, who befriended me first and most. It became a way to follow activities at the annual meeting in Hawaii that I couldn't attend, and to learn things about the people, not just the librarians.
I am an introvert, and the transparency and visibility of this venue doesn't sit well. I like to hear from friends, family; but am not so sure about showing such a personal presence to the world at large.
Now, professional, that is quite a different matter. I'm looking forward to seeing what Facebook Pages are about... envisioning a library Facebook page has a whole different feel to it. Wonder how it would go down with the institution?

2 comments:

  1. Do you have some ideas already about using facebook at work? Is it available (not blocked) at work? At school, it's blocked for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blocked for us at work as well. And it is also blocked on the "guest net" that our patients and families use - which the kids find tough!

    ReplyDelete