Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing 7 - RSS Feeds

Have watched the RSS video, and added a number of RSS feeds to my Google reader. So far, in addition to watching the 23 things blog, I'm also able to track the American Academy 0f Pediatrics ethics and children's health feeds, NPR's children's health topics, latest news from the CDC, and the Brenneman blog, from the Memorial Children's Hospital library in Chicago.
Now that I can see these, I am re-reading an article from the SLA journal that discussed putting RSS feeds into library webpages. My problem here is that (1) I need to convince the IT people that it would be a good idea to let this show up on our library's intranet page, and (2) figure out how to make the formatting acceptable. It is one thing for me to track things myself using my Google reader; but another whole concept to make something useful and appealing (not too much space, nice to look at, just enough info. to catch the interest) appear for my physicians and nurses - to be of help, but not blocky and awkward...
And even then, I can see I'd probably want to edit the feed, because not anything from any of these places would really be of interest to everyone...
Best will be to just share the concept of keeping up with whatever is of interest with each of the staff as we have the chance - let them choose their own, and perhaps help them find the feeds!
dfh

1 comment: