Saturday, July 25, 2009

Thing 16 - Library Thing

This came up today because a knitting site I belong to lets us create a library of our knitting books, selecting from books already on file there. Well, there is supposedly an option to upload titles from LibraryThing if it a title isn't already in Ravelry, so I thought good time to do thing 16. Turns out that Ravelry's application is still in progress and I can't yet upload books -- but I'm into Library Thing! I like being able to not only list books I already have, but to keep track of those books I want to read & keep forgetting about (all those sticky notes? won't need them!).

Tags: these are so useful, so important , but I had to read about using them to be able to make them work effectively. This has made me think a lot more deeply about classification, organization - back to my first cataloging job when I realized how important the perspective of the "findee" is.

Realize that this is being used as an OPAC for some libraries - probably not suitable for ours, though. We're hoping to add actual PDFs as well as URLs and our catalog; strictly MESH for now, but likely to change; also to include kids' books. And again, most of our staff can't get out to sites like this. Still, interesting thought.

Mostly, though, I find myself really like this site for personal reasons, and know I could spend way more time here that is good for me! I instantly want to add/organize all the books in my house. And then move on to music; can't find any music on LibraryThing, but music is in libraries, and is available on Amazon & in LC, so perhaps it will come? Do you know of any sites that allow one to add/organize music like this does books?

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try Zotero for organizing music - and perhaps other things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you were able to upload some books to Library Thing right? I will have to look up the other items mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - I did some books... Will probably keep this up just to keep track of both "to read" book and those I really treasure...
    dfh

    ReplyDelete